Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Valentine's, Sh** and then some...

So, February started off with Abe deciding to feed the deer that run through the yard, which turned into feed for about 100+ birds one morning (no joke- think Hitchcock, here), which turned into a shmorgishborg for the javelina. One night, we caught 9 of them going to town on the pile of food... (it's kind of hard to see, and a few were hiding in the bushes.)
Cole, being his father's son, decided he needed his gun...
He was so proud!
We then started off Valentine's weekend on Friday with a visit to Phoenix to meet with the "tax man," Bruce. Bruce works with my mom, and is the greatest tax man ever! We were pleasantly surprised with a refund which we weren't expecting since we have all kinds of new tax quandaries due to our Phoenix house.

We then made a detour to Carefree, where Cole stayed the weekend with Abe's mom. It was a nice little treat to have the little guy entertained by someone else for the weekend, though I missed him terribly! This was his 3rd weekend away, and I still have a really hard time not having him around. We were so excited to have him come home, we did Valentine's up right for him. Here is what he came home to...
The item wrapped in a grocery sack (courtesy of dad, and furnished with bows from mom) was a Hotwheels watch (he'd been eyeing his dad's new cool watch) and two betta fish Cole and I named Mack and Jack (two names I knew he could say)
He loves them!
We followed that with lunch with Paula and a relaxing rest of the day watching Mack and Jack trying to prove to each other which one is bigger and more macho (typical guys...there is a plastic divider between their respective sides, so they don't kill each other- because they totally would!)


Cole and I also caught colds- Cole first, then me.


We also finally heard back from the AzEIP people (unbelievably slow, those people are!) and we are meeting with the preschool March 11.


In Cole's speech world, Andrew quit- so we are meeting our new therapist, Cassidy, on Thursday. Cole has been making leaps and bounds with his speech. He has been using the actual words to name things lately {shock!} and has finally started to repeat words as he hears us say them. Which leads to my newest challenge





the word






s----h---*---t (that's for those of you who take more than mild offense to swear words {*wink*})



This was a word he heard exclaimed in our house while watching the Olympics (of all things!)



Typically, when he repeats something he hears us say, its a one time deal.


NOPE! Not this time. This word has become one of his staple words. He actually uses it now in place of words. Especially "no." Now, if you have spent anytime around Cole, you will know how much he says "no." Thanks to my two year old, I have learned that "no" and "sh*t" are TOTALLY interchangeable.

For example- car falls on the ground- Cole exclaims "oh sh*t"
I say time for a bath- Cole says "sh*t"


You get the picture, I'm sure.


My brother also taught Cole the joy of "shut up" which I hear just about every time I open my mouth to speak (unless, of course, he is saying the other s-h word.) He also screams "shut up" at the dog, and I even heard him telling off some old lady at the post office today who was asking her questions a little loudly for Cole's taste.

But how do we tell a little boy, who we have been waiting to talk forever, to stop talking. I try giving him alternative words (not including "shoot," I'm worried that will be too confusing for his developing vocabulary) and they work for that immediate instance, then, 2.32 minutes later, he's swearing again!

Oh well, it was bound to happen at some point, right? (Although, I had hoped, it would have been when he was like 14!) I just keep crossing my fingers that, while in public, people don't fully grasp what he's actually saying- though it is pretty stinkin' clear!

I have been trying to become more involved in my MOMS Club lately, so that has been sucking up our time again. Abe has been bombarded the last few weeks at work, which we think is great! Being busy = job security. This all on the heels of learning his previous employer is closing their doors. Very sad to hear.

On top of all that, last week I got to take Cole into Urgent Care, here in town, with a 104.6-105.1 fever. This time, the much nicer, and appearing much more competent, P.A. diagnosed him with double ear infections (his first EVER!) and swollen tonsils. He was put on azythromiacin, to avoid a possible penicillin reaction again, which was AMAZING (one dose a day for three days- so much easier to remember!) He was pretty miserable to be around for several days, but is 100% again, and we are now HUGE fans of Urgent Care!

He is taking naps about 30% of the time, and still succumbing to his exhausted body another 20%. I found him passed out on the couch with a bag of Cheeto's just yesterday. Oh this kid! He keeps me on my toes for sure!

No comments: