Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mother's Day

We had a fantastic weekend, and a beautiful Mother's Day, making our quick little day trip to the Valley. We started off Sunday with brunch up at Desert Mountain with the Geupel's (at the clubhouse we were married at, which is always nostalgic) at the best table in the house. We were at the end of the dining room, with essentially our own private balcony. We looked over the golf course, and Cole was thoroughly entertained watching the greens keepers, and then the golfers. We couldn't have asked for better entertainment, or view, and will hopefully be able to score this table on future visits, since Cole was so entranced and enabled us to enjoy our meal. (I forgot to take pictures while at the club, so hopefully I will be able to get some from my FIL!)

We headed down to my parent's for dinner, for my dad's annual Mother's Day feast. He made his spinach&cheese stuffed chicken wrapped in fillo and roasted vegetables. He kind of cheated this year and bought a cheesecake rather than baking dessert, but he did make a homemade strawberry sauce to go with it. My dad has always gone all out on Mother's Day, by cooking some fancy meal. He has started to just make my mom's favorites now, but when we were growing up, he would study cookbooks for weeks, planning out his perfect menu. The food was delicious, as always, and we timed out the day to where we were able to make it home well before dark, which was a fabulous first. We even made a quick detour and drove by our Anthem house on the way home. It made me kind of sad, it was such a great little house. It looked fantastic! (someone's been taking good care of it)

While my dad prepped dinner, everyone played with Cole, of course. He did everything from shooting baskets outside (not for too long, since it was a nice 104+ degree day!) to playing grocery store with Grandma and Great Grandma. Uncle David then pulled out his "newly customized" scooter (oh the things an eighteen year old will do with spray paint), to Cole's utter delight. Cole even managed to hitch a ride.

My brother then remembered his other scooter, which he lowered the handle on, and then Cole was in complete heaven. Everyone tried to show Cole how to ride it himself, but I think he figured- why do all that work when David can just push me around? Smart kid! We are heading back to my folks this weekend for David's HS graduation, and to spend some QT with my other brother and his wife, who'll be visiting from Texas.

Of course, Cole had to make sure to "smile" for the camera!


Like I said, fantastic weekend, and Cole and I are looking forward to our very busy social calendar over the next few weeks (graduation, birthday party, hair appointment, wedding, MC election, MC banquet, and hopefully some speech therapy before too long!)

No comments: