Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Must be going around

So, thanks to either allergies, a new cold, or a pick up where my last cold left off, I'm congested again. Besides the incessant sniffles, I have felt over all fine- until early this morning.

I had taken some Tylenol Severe Head Cold medicine before bed, which relieved my symptoms for about an hour or two, at which point Cole woke up and I brought into bed with us. As I listened to the quiet breathing of my two guys, I realized, yet again, I couldn't breathe. I went and took the last 2 pills in my Tylenol pack, and waited to be able to breathe once more. I waited and waited, and next thing I knew I had tears in my eyes from a pain in my chest. I became very hot, and then cold and clammy. It all ended after about 5 minutes, at which point I got a little nauseous, and was glad it was over.

About half an hour after that, the pain started again, and this time with a vengeance. I knew there was no way I could keep laying in bed, and got up to sit on the computer. About half way to my desk, I became doubled over in pain, clammy, shaky, and nauseous all over again. I went back in my room, woke Abe up, and told him what had been happening. He suggested I call the 24-hour RN hotline provided by our insurance, so I did. The guy asked me a few questions and then said, "Here's what I want you to do, hang up the phone and call 911 or have your husband take you to the ER right away." I thought oh great- finally, Cole is sleeping well for once, and of course I'm not, and now this guy wants me to go spend the wee hours of the morning in the ER.

So- that's what we did.

We all loaded up in the car. Cole felt like he was going on a little adventure. And after being poked, drugged and tested, they decided to diagnose it as an adverse reaction to medication. Fortunately, we were in and out in about two and half hours, and dear Abe came home, jumped in the shower and headed off to his 12+ hour workday. Cole fell asleep on the way back home (bless his heart), but was such a trooper while at the hospital (he even scored a stuffed bear and a couple of nurse girlfriends.) I finally fell back asleep after Abe left, only to be awoken shortly after by a rarin' to go little boy.

So, as I write this, the bruise on my hand from the IV is progressing, Cole again is napping (I may try to join him), and the hotline people called to check in, and let me know I was the second person she had talked to today that had had problems with cold medication last night. Must be going around.

1 comment:

Rachel & Bobby said...

Oh my goodness Rebecca Diane....I can't believe you didn't call and tell me about this?!