Monday, August 23, 2010

My Latest Time Consuming Endeavor

Sometimes (a lot of times, actually) I find myself asking why I choose to (insist on, would be more accurate) pick projects and plan events that suck up so much of my time (and resources $$$ for that matter!)

Then I remember, its always for the best of reasons. Its for people I love and care about, I really, truly, deep down LOVE doing it, and I just flat out can't help myself.

My sister, Rachel, is expecting her first baby (a girl) really any day now. Months ago, my mom and I discussed giving her a baby shower...so I got planning.

After going through my fabric stash (which, surprisingly to me, is quite large) and purchasing a few enhancements, here's what I came up with...
and I thought, what would be better than a baby quilt.

The absolutely LONGEST part of the whole process was the laying out of pieces- couldn't have colors close to each other, had to keep patterns separated...it literally took twice as long as the actual sewing.

During all this time, poor Cole was extremely neglected and managed to find ways to occupy himself, including DESTROYING the house and taking a few fantastic photos (one of his FAVORITE things to do lately)




He took this one below, too!

The finished project! I am actually EXTREMELY proud of it (so much so, I debated keeping it and just going out and buying a gift!) It was my first attempt at "quilting" (I've always just "tied" quilts I've made) and I love it! I am already planning how I am going to convince Abe that Cole needs to move into his Big Boy Big Boy Bed (you know, a full size) so I can make another quilt. I'm thinking my room may need one, too. Ohhh, but how I am dreaming of a new sewing machine (I have a few models in mind- maybe for Christmas or I do have a BIG {gasp} birthday coming up- a girl can dream, right!)


I also pillaged the rest of my stash (and added a few supplements) and came up with this assortment of hair bands/flowers (all the flowers are on ribbon covered clips and can be switched out on the headbands)
I had to cut myself off at 12 (I do have limits, after all) mostly because, simultaneously, I was creating all this as well...

Paper Rose Topiary (no exaggeration, there are at least 35 mini glue sticks holding this bad boy together! It turned out so good though!)

I also sat and folded about 40 paper pinwheels, which covered my parents' house (I also found those polka dot stickers on the door at the dollar store- perfect! They, too, covered the house)

This was my favorite of the pinwheels. I went through (and spent 2+ hours organizing) my paper/scrapbooking stash (again, amazing to me how much paper I truly have- but can a girl ever have too much paper or fabric, really?), found these adorable letters and spelled out the baby girl's name. (In case you can't see it, it says Brylee)

I also made some of my favorite paper lanterns- I really do love those things!
My camera has been having some issues (possibly due to my budding photographer ???) so the best picture I got of my sister and the baby bump was this one (with her husband, Bobby)...
Like I said, it was all totally worth it, though I am glad its done. Now I can go back to paying attention to my son, my husband, and my house (which DESPERATELY needs attention right now since Cole has destroyed it, remember!?!)




Of course, that's until I find/start a new project.


Any ideas?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Becky this is so cool! I happened to notice on FB your Blogger site. You have always had that artistic magic but I never knew it was on large things too. Great photos and you have a lucky sister.

Tim T