Friday, August 13, 2010

Cole's a School Boy...

...well, preschool boy at least.

Cole started Preschool on Monday. Here he is sporting his new school clothes.
And making a goofy, fake smile while saying "cheese"

Walking up to the school...
Mommy and Cole (again! Darn it, I should have got one of Cole and Dad. Abe met us at the school for the big day.) It was a big day for me, as well. This is the first time we've left him with anyone that is not a blood relative! I cried for quite some time in the car after leaving him.
In front of his classroom...
Putting on his name sticker and checking out what's going on. He spotted a car wash (right there in front of him) and so Abe and I made a quick and sneaky exit.
When I went to pick him up, I walked in the room, he saw me, immediately stuck out his bottom lip, which began to quiver, and then (BREAKING my heart) he said "Mommy, I wost you!" It took everything in me to not start crying again! His teachers shared with me that he had been pretty sad that day. So, what better remedy than an In-N-Out milkshake?
He goes three days a week (M-T-W, which is a schedule that I LOVE!!! I love that we can have 4 day, uninterrupted weekends). Therefore, day two was worse than day 1. The director of the school, who was helping out in his classroom, had to peel him off me and I left the room to the most heart-wrenching cry. Again, I cried too, but not till I was out of the classroom and had my sunglasses on- I mean, who cries on the 2nd day of dropping their kid off at school?. Oh, the joys of being a mother. When I picked him up that day, there was some small pouting and about a dozen "Mommy, I missed you" (but in the cute, adorable way only Cole can say it) before we got to the car. The teacher said he cried for about half an hour, but then was a great participator and was the best helper cleaning up the play-dough.
Day 3? Well, what do you know- Cole started crying and at this point I was kind of over it, until another mom said, "oh, he's so sad, stay strong momma" and at that point I left just in time to put my sunglasses on! 3 days in a row! ...both of us ?...I know, pretty lame. But we survived the first week. My favorite part about Day 3, was Cole started BAWLING before we even left the house. I had been explaining to him for days at this point that I will ALWAYS pick him up and its just for a short time. Knowing that it was the last day of the week, I wrote on a piece of paper that he went to school on M-T-W and then was home with me for Th-F-Sa-Su. After this explanation, he proceeded to tell me that it was Saturday, not Wednesday. I would laugh and tell him that it was indeed Wednesday, to which he would say "no, Thursday, mom, Thursday." He then told me he NEEDED to go to the airport, and get dad, and go to the airport. I can't believe he is already coming up with excuses for not going to school! His teacher said he only cried about 5 minutes on day 3- though I still got (and still do get, actually) "I missed you at schoo, Mommy"

On a side note, when asked by his grandma if he liked school he said "Yes, I do" and then told her about all he plays and does.


Little stinker- I swear this kid plays me like a fiddle.

1 comment:

Sheri N. said...

Is he at discovery gardens?