Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Buggin!


I still need to post about Michigan, but I just had to get this off my chest.

I hate bugs! Like really hate bugs! I hate everything about them. Their creepy crawliness, penchant for darkness, venomous natures and stingers, their jumping and flying- yup, everything about them! And, for some reason, everywhere we have lived we have had some sort of bug problem.

Our apartment, it was cockroaches- cliche, I know.

Our Anthem house, it was scorpions. LOTS of scorpions. We used to "hunt" them at night, as a precaution for Dozer (a dog his size can die from a good sting). From Memorial Day to Labor Day (prime scorpion time), we killed over 300!!! It was awful!

Our Phoenix house wasn't too bad. Although, we would get a ridiculous amount of ants and mosquitoes- both are not my friends. Not to mention flies and bees. But nothing too out of the ordinary.

Now, here in Prescott, its crickets and centipedes. Not just any crickets (like the unobtrusive ones from when I was growing up), but the ENORMOUS black crickets (and some brown) that end up in the most inconvenient places- walls, ceilings, dresser drawers, the legs of pants before I put them on (those last two caused me to scream like the little girl that I am. I mean, seriously, how do crickets end up in drawers and pant legs?!?) But what has made me write this is the friggin' centipedes! We get them pretty regularly- not like the scorpions- but enough to make us question their origin, and enough that, at night, I try to turn lights on before entering rooms and hallways.

Last year we actually had a centipede in our bathroom sink (drinking from around the drain) that Abe missed killing before it made its mad dash down the drain, so we dumped a crazy amount of bug spray down the sink (I know, not good for the environment, but what would you do if you had a 6+ inch long, dime sized around, effing centipede in your sink?) About a week later, the stench of decay that filled our bathroom was INCREDIBLE! Who knew a dead bug could rot like that? Of course, this was the disgustingly large centipede from hell, so I guess it only makes sense. Abe ripped the sink apart trying to find it, and determined that it was trapped (and rotting) in the overflow trap. After pouring copious amounts of scalding hot water down the overflow, the stench of decay eventually disappeared.

Sunday night, in my state of paranoia, I turned the light on in our bathroom, thinking we were due for an unexpected visitor- and wouldn't you know it- there scurried one along the wall and into the closet (undoubtedly looking for darkness). As I frantically looked for something to smash it with it disappeared. I have now decided that there aren't many bugs on Earth creepier than centipedes- not even scorpions, in my opinion (having been excessively exposed to both). Centipedes have these grossly elongated, segmented, snakelike bodies, but with terrible pointy legs attached, and don't forget their venomous fangs, and antennae like appendages on both ends, making them all the more creepier.

Then last night, going down the hall to switch laundry to the dryer, I saw my disgusting, snaky, little friend scurrying down the hall. I am telling myself it was the same one from the night before, because if not, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. I quietly called Abe (I'd just put Cole down) and watched while Abe grabbed a shoe and the creepy crawly met his demise! I stood over his squished body, enjoying his last feeble twitches, and then the sound of my hero (Abe) flushing him down the toilet.

I told you- I HATE bugs!

2 comments:

Savannah130 said...

That sounds REALLY gross!! I hate cetipede's they creep me out! There is this show a the Travel Channel and it is called Bite Me with Dr.Mike, and he goes around the world to get bit by these crazy bug or something and then sometimes has to go to the doctor to get help! I think he as a death wish!

MrsDartt said...

I had no idea you were living with such a dark and scary secret! Disgusting!